Reporter processes each Access log one row at a time. Each row, in access log, is called a log line. As we process a log line, we inject data into the database. The licence you received on purchasing report is based on how many log lines you keep in your database. However, not all log lines are processed into the database, from your access log. Here's an explanation as to why this is the case.
In the administration section of the Reporter UI, you can access your database statistics. Here we see two values- Total Log lines,and Actual log lines:
- Total Log lines : This value represents each log line, as it's processed in a access log. As Reporter processes it's log lines, it combines some log lines into a single line in the database. This feature is called the Page View Combiner ( P.V.C.) ,and is used to predict a more accurate browse time for users. It is explain, in more detail, here : 000012088.
- Current Log lines: This value represents the actual value of log lines existing in the database.
As you can now see, the Current Log lines will be less than the Total Log lines, because of the P.V.C. feature.
To access these two statistics, follow these steps:
- Login to Reporter with your Admin account.
- Navigate to the administration section of the UI.
- Click on the "System Overview"
- Scrolling down, in the 'Diagnositics' section, will should you an overview of the database, it's current license, and the Current Log lines.
- The Total lines processed statistic is a little further down next two each database.
NOTE1: For information on the different types of licenses available see KB3423
NOTE2: For information on the types of information you can see on on your Log Sources see 000015840
NOTE3: For information on files you might see in your database folder, see 000011055